Introduction: Stuffed peppers are a delightful and satisfying dish that brings comfort and nostalgia to many. Today, we have a unique twist on this classic recipe from wellness coach and recipe developer, Miriam Hahn. Drawing inspiration from her Italian heritage, Miriam has crafted a delectable recipe for feta and orzo stuffed peppers that boast a light and fresh taste. Combining the goodness of orzo pasta, olives, tomatoes, basil, lemon, and feta, this dish is a perfect balance of flavors and textures. Let’s dive into the details of this mouthwatering recipe and discover how to create this wholesome delight in your own kitchen.
The Ingredients: Before we embark on the culinary journey, let’s take a quick trip to the produce aisle. Gather some vibrant red peppers, fresh oregano, juicy grape tomatoes, fragrant basil leaves, and zesty lemons. Don’t limit yourself to just red peppers; feel free to experiment with green, yellow, or orange ones for a burst of color and taste.
Next, you’ll need some orzo pasta to provide a delightful base for the stuffing. Add in some flavorful kalamata olives, creamy feta cheese, and crunchy pine nuts to elevate the dish’s taste and texture. For those opting for a dairy-free version, Miriam suggests using dairy-free feta cheese as a wonderful substitute.
Condiments and Seasonings: To enhance the flavors of the stuffed peppers, we need some essential condiments and seasonings. Olive oil will infuse the dish with a rich, nutty aroma, while garlic powder adds a delightful kick. Don’t forget to sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar will provide a tangy and slightly sweet note to balance the overall taste.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice the tops off the red peppers and remove the seeds and membranes, creating a hollow cavity for the stuffing. Set them aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked orzo pasta, halved grape tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, crumbled feta cheese, and sliced kalamata olives.
- Toss in the pine nuts for added crunch and toasted flavor.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to create a zesty dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the orzo mixture and toss gently to combine all the flavors.
- Stuff the prepared red peppers with the orzo mixture until they are generously filled.
- Place the stuffed peppers on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the peppers are tender and slightly charred.
- Once the peppers are ready, drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar over the top for an extra burst of flavor.
- Serve the feta and orzo stuffed peppers hot and garnish with fresh oregano leaves for a delightful presentation.
Conclusion: Miriam Hahn’s feta and orzo stuffed peppers offer a tantalizing combination of flavors, bringing a fresh and light touch to the classic Italian dish. With the goodness of orzo pasta, olives, tomatoes, basil, lemon, and feta cheese, this recipe is a wholesome and delicious treat that the entire family will love. So, head to the kitchen, gather the ingredients, and let your culinary skills shine as you create this delightful dish to savor and share with your loved ones. Enjoy!